Our next recipe for the month of March is the famous Pesto Sauce. Salsa Verde restaurant means green sauce Restaurant and we love our Pesto on pretty much anything from Pasta, Fish, Meat and as a lovely salad dressing.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or any other nut you can find if pine nuts are too expensive. I like to use walnuts or almonds
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino or parmesan cheese
Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
If freezing, transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.